Knights of Columbus
Who Are the Knights of Columbus?
The Knights of Columbus is the largest Catholic fraternal organization in the world. The Bothers in the order are dedicated to the principles of charity, unity, fraternity and patriotism.
The Knights of Columbus stand for:
- Defense and support of the priesthood and vocations
- Christian family values
- The rights of the unborn
- Support of the community
- Support of the handicapped
- Support of our youth
- Fraternity for our Brothers
The Knights of Columbus at St. Joseph Parish are active in sponsoring many church, community, family, youth and council activities throughout the year. Supporting vocations to the priesthood and religious life is a top priority of the Knights of Columbus.
Church and Community Activities
- Seminarian Sponsorship
- Newman Foundation support
- Parish center remodeling and addition
- Gift of Cana program for newlyweds
- Parish soccer sponsor and support for athletic programs
- Funeral Mass altar servers
- Support for a shelter for victims of domestic violence
- Fund raising for the mentally retarded and learning disabled
- Sponsor of Ann Benjamin camp for mentally retarded youth
- Spaghetti dinner to benefit various charitable groups
- Memorial to the Unborn
- Cub Scouts sponsor
- Girls softball sponsor
- Clergy and Seminarians Christmas party
Council, Family and Youth Activities
- Free throw contests
- Altar servers’ banquet
- Dinner dances
- Family breakfasts and dinners
- Fish fries
- Seniors’ card party and lunch
- Children’s Halloween party
- Children’s Christmas party
- Major league baseball outings
- Adult bus trips
- Blood drives
- Cub Scout banquet and Pinewood Derby
- Memorial Mass for deceased Brothers and Sisters
Fourth Degree Knights
The Fourth Degree is a group of men committed to promoting patriotism and upholding the Catholic faith.
Fourth Degree Knights wear the regalia and participate in color corps and honor guards at special events. They serve at the wakes and funerals of fellow Knights as a special way of paying homage to deceased members.
Knights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary
The Ladies Auxiliary, The Ladies of Columbus, is an organization which promotes sociability among members, promotes the welfare of Council 3507, and promotes charitable activities. It is open to any Christian female age 18 or older.
How To Become a Knight
Membership in the Knights of Columbus is open to all practicing Catholic men age 18 or older. A practicing Catholic follows God’s commandments and the Church’s precepts.
You can obtain an application to join us from any Brother Knight. After your application is submitted, you will be interviewed and then welcomed into the Order during one of the ceremonies held periodically throughout the year.
Membership is retained as long as your dues remain current and you remain a practicing Catholic.
Knights of Columbus Archbishop Schlarman Council conducts a business meeting on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Knights of Columbus Hall, 715 North Eleventh Street, Pekin.